Combat Readiness – Medical
Released: February 24, 2023
Department of Defense
Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP)
Combat Readiness – Medical Research Program
Anticipated Funding Opportunities for Fiscal Year 2023 (FY23)
The FY23 Defense Appropriations Act provides funding for the Combat Readiness – Medical Research Program (CRRP) to support military-relevant advanced technology and therapeutic research related to forward-deployable solutions that can promptly address life-threatening injuries, medical threats, and treatments for Service Members in current and future battlefield settings. The managing agent for the anticipated funding opportunities is the CDMRP at the U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command (USAMRDC).
The CRRP is providing the information in this pre-announcement to allow investigators time to plan and develop ideas for submission to the anticipated FY23 funding opportunities. This pre-announcement should not be construed as an obligation by the government. The FY23 CRRP funding opportunity announcements for the following award mechanisms will be posted on the Grants.gov website. Pre-application and application deadlines will be available when the announcements are released.
The FY23 CRRP will solicit research applications addressing at least one of the Focus Areas described below. The Focus Areas broadly describe current needs to ensure readiness for delivering front-line care in combat situations and for delivering medical damage control capability, assets, and lifesaving interventions to address the emerging medical needs of the Warfighter during prolonged and en route care in austere and combat environments, including the acute and early management of combat-related trauma at the point of injury.
Applications submitted to the FY23 CRRP must address one or more of the following Focus Areas:
- Solutions to enhance combat care delivery through the far-forward environment, such as:
- Telemedicine solutions that enable medical capabilities in far-forward battlespace locations worldwide
- Medical simulation technology that supports sustainment of critical skills and medical decision-making
- Blood products, including freeze-dried plasma and platelets
- Ruggedized oxygen generation systems for medical use
- Solutions for the assessment of mild traumatic brain injury, to include portable and hand-held devices
- Initial treatment and transport of patients with highly transmissible infectious disease
- Wound care solutions for complex trauma and tissue regeneration that span the operational medical care continuum or roles of care (e.g., acute through chronic care), such as:
- Multi-modal wound care solutions that provide a combination of hemostasis, wound healing, infection prevention, and/or analgesia
- Solutions to enhance Warfighter readiness, such as:
- Sleep disorders
- Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome
- Service-related post-traumatic arthritis
- Eating disorders
- Valley fever
- Complementary health measure to accelerate return to duty
- Regenerative medicine
Areas of Encouragement are capability and knowledge gaps that are of high priority and programmatic relevance and will be found within the FY23 funding opportunity announcements once released. Investigators are strongly encouraged to propose research ideas that specifically address one of the FY23 Areas of Encouragement within each Focus Area (if applicable).
|Award Mechanism||Eligibility||Key Mechanism Elements||Funding|
|Translational Research Award||Extramural and intramural applicants:
Independent investigators at all academic levels (or equivalent)
A pre-application is required and must be submitted through the Biomedical Research Application Portal (eBRAP) prior to the pre-application deadline. All applications must conform to the final funding opportunity announcements that will be available for downloading from the Grants.gov website. The application package containing the required forms for each award mechanism will also be found on Grants.gov. A listing of all CDMRP and other USAMRDC extramural funding opportunities can be obtained on the Grants.gov website by performing a basic search using Assistance Listing Number (ALN, formerly CFDA) 12.420.
Submission deadlines are not available until the funding opportunity announcements are released. For email notification when announcements are released, subscribe to program-specific news and updates under “Email Subscriptions” on the eBRAP homepage. For more information about the CRRP or other CDMRP-administered programs, please visit the CDMRP website (https://cdmrp.health.mil).
Point of Contact:
CDMRP Public Affairs
Last updated Sunday, December 31, 1600