Peer Reviewed Cancer
Vision – To advance mission readiness of U.S. military members affected by cancer.
Peer Reviewed Cancer Research Program Overarching Challenges
The PRCRP has developed a strategy to address multiple issues in cancer research over the spectrum of different cancer topics considered for funding. These Overarching Challenges are critical gaps in cancer research, care, and/or patient outcomes that will advance mission readiness of U.S. military members affected by cancer and improve quality of life by decreasing the burden of cancer on Service Members, their families, Veterans, and the American public.
- Investigate innovative prevention strategies and early detection methods to decrease cancer burden.
- Elucidate the mechanisms underlying cancer development to improve prevention methods.
- Identify approaches to predict treatment resistance, recurrence, and the development of advanced disease.
- Distinguish unique features driving cancer occurrence across the spectrum of ages.
- Develop and improve minimally invasive methods to detect cancer initiation, progression, and recurrence.
- Transform cancer treatment, especially for advanced disease and metastasis.
- Improve current therapies including systemic and local treatments.
- Research longitudinal evaluation of disease progression and/or treatment response.
- Elucidate the mechanisms of cancer development to improve treatment methods.
- Patient Well-Being and Survivorship
- Study methods to address survivorship issues including quality of life, overall mental health, psychological impact of recurrence, and/or survivor permanent disability.
- Reduce short- and long-term treatment effects, including neurocognitive deficits.
- Investigate ways to bridge gaps between treatment and survivorship including alternative medicine, nutrition and lifestyle factors, and supportive care.
- Improve prevention strategies, diagnosis, treatment, and outcomes for patients in underserved or under recognized populations.
- Study methods to improve accessibility to care and to address survivorship.
- Advance health equity and reduce disparities in cancer care through research.
Environmental Exposures and Risk Factors for Cancer (319kb)
The Peer Reviewed Cancer Research Program (PRCRP) Vision
Last updated Sunday, December 31, 1600